Need glowing skin in 24-hours? Many beauty products are just clever marketing tools, this fast fix is so cute that I decided break down the whole routine.
- The point of this step is to increase cell turnover which (over time) reveals new healthy skin cells. The rub, however, is that not everyone should use a glycolic peel and they are only effective when used regularly.
- Chemical exfoliants, Alpha hydroxyl acids (AHAs) including glycolic and lactic acids and beta hydroxyl acids (BHAs) including salicylic acid, are safer than mechanical methods of exfoliating because they are less likely to result in over-exfoliation.
- BHAs are best for those with oily skin, black heads, and blemishes because it is oil soluble and therefore can penetrate sebum while AHAs, which are water soluble, are best for those with sun-damaged or dry skin who don’t have breakout problems.
- Don’t combine with other exfoliating methods or products if you want to avoid overdoing exfoliation. Always use with a sunscreen if applying during the day.
- The only step in the routine which science suggest is effective.
- High/ Low
- A product that doubles down on what a good moisturizer should do, so I’d stick to an inexpensive version and spend more money on a great exfoliating product and moisturizer.
- Not to be confused with the still-trendy individually-wrapped sheet masks, not meant to be worn all night, made from silk or cotton, and infused with a serum-based formula.
- A night mask works overnight and is more like a night cream on steroids and feels richer on your skin than daytime moisturizers but without an SPF.
- By leaving these on at night, they are supposed to seal in the moisturizing ingredients underneath, decrease water evaporation from the skin, and help the ingredients penetrate the skin more efficiently, at least for the time that it’s on the skin.
- Night masks are marketed to address a host of skin concerns (skin-brightening or cell-renewing) but we are looking for hydration here, so focus!
- Serums used to be merely lightweight, gel-like moisturizers with a lighter consistency than the average moisturizer, but now-a-days they are formulated to deliver a high-concentration of active ingredients to your skin and lock in moisture.
- Serums aren’t one-size fit all, but are intended to address specific skin care needs.
- Look for formulas that include vitamin C, green tea, pomegranate extract, grape see extract, ceramides, amino acids, fatty acids, and niacinamide.
- One would assume that more expensive formulas contain higher quality, more concentrated ingredients, but the most expensive serums aren’t always the best.
- If you have a chronic skin condition such as eczema or rosacea, serums may cause aggravation.
- High/ Low /More
- Beauty water that preps skin for the rest of your skincare regimen, and is intended to provide an additional functional need for skin.
- Formulated to do one thing well – boost radiance, firm, hydrate –you choose what your skin needs.
- A bit lighter weight than a serum, less viscous, and formulated to have a light weight feel on the face.
- Apply with your hands because if you dispense onto a cotton ball, the product will be absorbed straight into the cotton.
- The cult classic SK-II Facial Treatment Essence made from a by-product of yeast fermentation is expensive and its usefulness is speculative.
- The right oils can mimic the lipid content of skin ingredients. Pure facial oils include apricot oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, sesame oil, shea butter, and sweet almond oil, all of which can be very helpful for skin.
- If you have: dry skin use avocado oil, and if you tend to be more oily or acne prone, use jojoba oil or rosehip.
- Use only 2 or 3 drops per application – using more can cause excessive drying of the skin since the additional oil will send the message to your skin to produce less of its own oil.
- I prefer to stick to pure oils, without any complicated formulation. I add Sea Buckhorn oil to a generous amount of Rose Hip oil.
- If you are tempted to splurge, cult favorite Olio Lusso by Linda Rodin launched her beauty empire.
- Watery substance intended to refresh your skin during the day.
- A facial mist is relaxing, cooling, refreshing, and also used to set make-up.
- High/ Low
As you can see, this 24-hour glow “fix” is really just a routine to layer multiple moisturizing products on your face. I wouldn’t recommend doing this everyday – you run the risk of over saturating your skin – which can leave it dull, the opposite of what you want. But, if you keep to simple inexpensive products, this could be a fun way to be glowy fast.
Next up: I’ll be looking at natural beauty ingredients that you should add to your routine.